Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Prayer flag of Hope

I thought I would do a short blog post about my second prayer flag for the month and explain a bit of the detail and thought process.

Several years ago I was in a Bible study with a group of women and we worked through several Joyce Meyer books. One of our favorite quotes was "Hope: the confident expectation that something good is going to happen to me". Of course when the January prayer prompt was "Hope" this was the first verse that came to mind.


I printed the verse on my laser printer on plain paper. Then I soaked it in coffee and baked it for 20 minutes or so (there are several Youtube videos detailing this technique). I'd never done this before and was uncertain if the stained papers would bleed or not so I sprayed it with a coat of Mod Podge sealer before continuing.

I tore out the verse and then inked up the rough edges and machine stitched it to the muslin.

Our inclusion this month was 'feather or wings'. I looked all over my art room for my "extra" tissue paper wings that I was so certain I had to no avail but then I spotted my Mona Lisa button fairy. She's been hanging around my art room for several years; time to up-cycle her a bit.


I had all my doilies, lace bits, and sari ribbon ready to go so they were all sewn on next. It was looking a little blah so I used a little acrylic paint and a plastic cover from something to stamp some circles on the flag to match the ribbon and sort of tie it all together. 


I was pretty happy with how this one turned out too. I will most likely try to do 2 flags again for February like this month with one more contemporary or painterly and then another with lace. They are fun and actually sort of meditative to make, a great way to get your head in a good mindset while working on them as well.

Stay tuned - next month's theme is "Faith" with an inclusion of "hands".





3 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you for sharing the process as well. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project! Can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3