Friday, November 27, 2015

Painting Pottery

I have not blogged in several weeks but that does not mean I haven't been doing anything fun. One of my latest obsessions is painting pottery at an area "paint your own pottery" shop called Pot Spot.

The last time I was there I tried a technique called "sgraffito" for the first time. Sgraffito is a technique where you apply different color underglazes and then use tools to scratch away areas to create your design.

This square plate is my first attempt. I used several different tools to get a feel for some of the different marks you can come up with.


For my next piece I painted this oval platter and added a few more colors to the mix. The image on the left is before glazing and firing and the image on the right is the finished piece.



What a fun way to spend a few hours time. I can hardly wait to go back!

4 comments:

  1. I love your pottery pieces!,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love what you created.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. They came out great. Love how bold the colors get after firing. Can't wait to see what you create next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way these turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3