Sunday, October 18, 2015

must have toys

Just over a year ago we became grandparents for the first time. Like all good grandparents, we bought a few toys to keep at our house.

And then we bought a few more toys, and a few more and pretty soon they were spilling over the basket. Of course I could have just bought a larger basket but where's the fun in that? Instead I found this great antique cabinet.


The only problem was I didn't like the paint color so I decided to give it a face lift. I was thinking mustard would be a nice color.

Normally a coat of paint would not be a big deal but this little project went on a little longer than planned.

I've been hearing so much about the wonders of chalk paint so I figured I would give it a try. We needed to stop at Menards for a few things so I got my paint there. I picked out a color as close to mustard as they carried in chalk paint.

I started painting about 9:00 last evening and after the first coat of yellow over the barn red it looked a mess. By the time I did a second coat I realized this was not a mustard color, it was more of a sunshine and lemon drop yellow and  there is no way I could have looked at it every day and liked it. 

Being too impatient t wait til morning, I called our local Walmart to make sure someone was working the midnight shift that could mix paint. They assured me there was so off I went in search of mustard latex. 

There was someone working that knew how to mix paint but something went wrong with the recipe apparently. When she finished shaking the can and opened it to check the color it was a pale butter shade. She said she would try again but first had to go help another customer with something. Again, being impatient I didn't want to wait for her to go help someone else so I went to the craft aisle and found a softer yellow premixed chalk paint and headed home.

Still not the mustard color I'd hoped for but workable. After 2 kinds of chalk paint, distress ink, Stazon ink, acrylic paint and wax I finally finished and I love it (and now have a great place for toys)!


9 comments:

  1. Necessity truly IS the mother of invention! I LOVE your toy chest. Great color and it looks like it's been like that for many, many, many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue - that's exactly the look I was going for <3

      Delete
  2. It really is spectacular Renee. How did you use Stazon ink? So self-reliant you are to produce what you want into reality! Love the colour so much better than the red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Frances. I used the Stazon along the edges and on the metal parts (hinge & latch) to make it look old and worn and I used distress ink on the larger areas to shade and age.

      Delete
    2. Very interesting Renee. I would never think to do that with furniture finishing. Nice!

      Delete
  3. It is fantastic ! Love this look !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could imagine this being discovered in an attic of an old house. Is so authentic looking. Great colour.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, exactly what I'd hoped for!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3