Saturday, May 9, 2015

Happy Mother's Day

This Mother's Day weekend I am channeling the talents of my mother who passed away 3 years ago and, luckily, it seems to be working out. This is my journal page for week 19 of Documented Life Project and the May challenge for Mixed Media Monthly.

The challenge for the Documented Life Project is stitching. I am not good at sewing. I have very little patience to sew a nice straight seam and the first time the thread knots up or tears I am usually ready to toss the whole project. My mother, however was a wonderful seamstress which is why I never had to learn to be better at it.

I used my mom's sewing machine (which I'm certain made all the difference) and stitched up a few May flowers (which is the Mixed Media Monthly challenge).




For the center panel I used a piece of muslin which I painted with a coat of gesso. I stitched the flowers with a sewing machine and then used acrylic paint to give them a little color. I tore a strip of batik fabric (no, not batikked by me) and glued that on the side of the page. I made a few circles with 2 colors of acrylic paint and then splattered acrylic paint in a few places.

On a further note, a little something that would make my mom smile. I remember when I would try to sew something she would always check the backside as well saying the back should be as neat as the front. So you can imagine - I was really proud of the back of this one.



Look Mom - no knots!

Hug a Mom this weekend.







11 comments:

  1. i'm sure your mom IS smiling! her hands were probably on top of yours guiding you all along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roc, I like to think the same thing!

      Delete
  2. You and I are...ahem...cut from the same cloth, Renee! A seamstress I am NOT! But I am trying to get better at it. I love your piece. Simple and elegant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not like sewing a straight seam, but this art piece is a delight! My Grandmother always taught me the back or inside should look as nice as the right side. You have done our stitching ancestors proud. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. It's a lovely clear design and I like the way you have used both textiles and paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. Thanks for playing the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you sewed this first - gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous mothers day make! Wow, Love it! Such a great colour choice too! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is just a wonderful project!! Not only does it look beautiful but the story behind it makes me smile!! I thought the back was the front it was so neatly done!! Excellent work!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous stitching! Great coloring with acrylic paints! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.
    http://www.lynnkopas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3