Wednesday, April 8, 2015

New Month - New Monthly Challenges

April has rolled around and with it are new monthly challenges to play with.

The Play With challenge at Community Thrive this month is brown paper bag. This worked out perfect for me because I had a brown paper bag from World Market that I'd been saving for a journal page because it had this great elephant on it - perfect!


For the background I used torn pieces from 3 different weight brown paper bags. The quote is hard to read but it is a Native American proverb that I found on line. It says "we will forever be known by the tracks we leave behind us". I added the quote because the challenge at Art Journal Journey this month is favorite poems & quotes.

The next journal page is also a dual purpose page. First of all the challenge for this week at Documented Life Project is watercolors. I am not good with watercolor. Part of the problem is that I have no idea what I am doing with them and usually end up with a muddy-colored mess but I played along anyway.


I am using a Diane Reavely journal and the page I wanted to use already had a lot of acrylic paint spread around. I covered the acrylic with a few coats of Golden absorbent ground and let it dry before starting the watercolors.

The challenge for Mixed Media Monthly is April Showers (thus the rain and the bird in the puddle). 

15 comments:

  1. Both pieces are adorable! As always I am very inspired by your pieces Renee!
    Thank you very much for this fantastic contribution to Art Journal Journey Challenge!
    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, so nice of you to join us at Art Journal Journey, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your journal pages. And the native quote is so, so rich with Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your use of paper bags! The quote is so true. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your project pages! what a great way to use your left over bag!! i love recycling things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, love your cute bird in his puddle Renee! Thanks so much for adding it to our Mixed Media Monthly challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little bird in his puddle looks quite happy sitting there, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from AJJ
    Brilliant use of the World Market Elephant (I may have one here somewhere as he spoke to me too!)...what you created is fabulous!
    Sweet birdie in the rain too.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from AJJ
    Brilliant use of the World Market Elephant (I may have one here somewhere as he spoke to me too!)...what you created is fabulous!
    Sweet birdie in the rain too.
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. your work is always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute journal page! Love the sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us this month at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bird is fabulous!! He just makes me smile! And you did a great job with your watercolors - I have a hard time with them too!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bird in the puddle and your water coloring is beautiful! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. really love your sweet bird. such a great page. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice journal page!! Great idea with the paper bag!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3