Tuesday, February 3, 2015

What Lies Beneath

The challenge for the Documented Life Project this week is under paper and the prompt is
"what lies beneath" and the Mixed Media Monthly challenge is "think pink". I decided to combine them for this journal spread.

I also decided that this spread would work well to show a few progress pictures along the way. I like to see how other people come up with their journal spreads and watch their process so am hoping this will be of interest to some

To begin...

In addition to under papers I also have a stack of pages that I use to spread out leftover paint at the end of a project so I've used some of each for this spread. I cut and tore the pages into smaller pieces and then glued them to my journal page.


Next I brayered a light layer of gesso over the whole thing.


When the gesso was dry I studied the page keeping in mind both of the challenges and found a vague shape of this girl. I went with that and gave her a pink shirt for the "think pink" challenge. 



Finally I did the detail work with pens, pencils and markers. As I was working on the finishing details I kept in mind the "what lies beneath" prompt. I found shapes in the background and used markers and paints to enhance them. 

Since it is almost Valentine's Day I added a little doodling to the heart she is holding as well.


Join the Documented Life Project and the Mixed Media Monthly challenges and let's see what lies beneath your journal page.

9 comments:

  1. Love the end result, awesome! Fun, fun!
    Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Renee! Love all of the steps and the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great end page. I thought you had started with a wonderful page but what you created in the end is amazing. Love the way you have integrated the shapes and colours and teased the patterns out of the background.
    Your lady on the right and the flowers on the left make it all just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous journal page. I love the background you created. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you found her in your gesso and paper background! Beautiful! Great journal page!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you how you found your girl in the gesso and paper background! Beautiful! Great Journal page! Thank you for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is just a beautiful page! i love the girl and all the lovely pink around her! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and colorful journal page. Love how you created the background. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful Renee, the face of the angel is amazing! Such an amazing piece altogether, love all the layers, just gorgeous! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3