Thursday, April 4, 2013

21 Secrets

I joined the 21 Secrets Art Journaling Workshop this year and am just getting started with the classes. I will share some of my progress here on The Tin Goat as I go along.

My first challenge was to figure out how to go about taking the classes. Do I take the ones that sound most interesting first or the ones by the instructors that I know more about or the ones that sound most familiar to the way I work? Decisions, decisions... In case anyone cares I've decided to go bottom to top, left to right!

So, my first class was with Tracey Verdugo. As part of this class i painted an abstract that will not be shared. Can you say "hot mess"? However, not to be discouraged - I will try another. I think I am too excited to try a little bit from each class so as I go back and take my time I'm certain I will have better results.

My second class was with Whitney Ferre  and it was about streaming doodles, spirit prompts, and symbol portals. I sort of combined these into my page and took pictures at various stages.


  
 
I closed my eyes, set my intention and just started scribbling. The green part was on the page when I started the pencil marks are my doodle. After looking at this from several different angles I ended up turning the journal upside down and started adding to it.
 
 

 
This is how it looked after some additional doodling and filling in a few of the areas. At this point I dug out the watercolor paints.
 
 

 
 
This is the completed page. As you can see I pretty much suck at water colors but that's OK - it's not about the quality of the painting technique. These are the colors I felt as I was working on the page.
 
To be honest I don't really now how much of this was intuitive and how much was wishful thinking. The discernment I was hoping to find was art-related (obviously) so I wonder if I was influencing the outcome for the answer I wanted. I'm sure I will get better with more practice. I will definately use this approach often.
 
You know that feeling you get every once in a while when an art piece or a journal page sort of takes on a life of its own and ends up nothing like you originally pictured in your mind but so much better? I believe using this approach could result in that as a common occurence. Those are always the best work so I will practice, practice, practice and see where I am guided from here.
 
I'm off to try something else for now.
 
Thanks for stopping by...
 
Renee
 

5 comments:

  1. I think you got "it".very appealing. Colors are soft and love the doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job with this. Love what you created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, Renee, I think you've absorbed the essence of Whitney's class! When I tried to do a streaming doodle, it turned out to be MY "hot mess"!!! Art on . . . . Lots of Hugs, Terri ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have just reminded me of a child hood moment, you know we used to do this all the time as kids. may have to try this again. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there: I am connecting to you through the Art Blog Hop. I love that you are sharing your process and using different mediums. I subscribed by email & look forward to more. Best wishes, KCW
    http://kennedycreativeworks.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3