Friday, November 2, 2012

Multi-challenge journal page

I'm still working on my ETC journal spreads and have actually made some pretty big dents in the piles. A few pages to go and my counter will be clutter-free and I can start all over again!

Meanwhile being the first of the month there is a new Green Paper challenge. Mary gave us great images to work with once again this month. This challenge is open to all - join us here.

In addition to the Green Paper challenge there are also new monthly challenges over at Community Thrive. This month's One Word challege prompt is "strength". Join this Community Thrive challenge here.

I chose to combine the 2 challenges with a picture of one of my favorite people on a page in my altered ancestor journal.



 
Altered Grandma
 
 
 
 
All of the background papers except the sheet music and the striped border are from the Green Paper challenge.
 
Her dress says "She was strong" and with text taken from an old church hymnal.
 
The woman is my husband's grandmother in her youth. Grandma passed away 3 years ago just a few hours away from her 100th birthday.
 
I chose to use her picture for the strength challenge because I had so much respect for the way she lived her life. She found her strength in the Bible and shared her knowledge and her quest to learn more with everyone she met - as well as a few people she never met. She once spent 20 minutes on the phone with a 'nice sounding young man' that called to sell her car insurance (she hadn't driven in over 10 years at this point) telling him about Jesus.
 
Grandma was one of the least judgemental people I've had the pleasure to know and I could go on and on touting her various 'strenths' but I guess I've made my point by this time.
 
I hope to see you join either (or both) of these challenges and many thanks to those who offer them.
 
Find your strength.
 
Renee  
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, good blog spot. Next week Wednesday, can ya make an Alex run?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peggy. yes - alex on wed. sounds good. where and what time?

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous (and meaningful) piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our grandmas. I miss mine so. I love your grandma's heart! Nice color in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute way to remember your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the repetition of motifs, and the green and black color scheme. Hey, it matches your blog background beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great page! I love that you have an altered ancestor journal! That sounds like it would be so fun to work on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3