Monday, March 19, 2012

sometimes I get bored

Well it's Monday morning and I'm putting off running the vacuum, laundry and all the other fun Monday chores for a few minutes longer to write this post.

We had a wonderful, warm March weekend. Some years we are shoveling our way out from a blizzard and this year we were playing outside in our shirt sleeves. I much prefer the warm winter we've had this year but I guess if every winter was like this I would be bored with that too (maybe)!

Art works much the same for me. I like to collage for awhile, then I need to switch over to an art journal, and then I need to paint. This is probably why I feel like I have no signature style because I need to change things up so I don't feel repetitious.

My friend, Hope hosted a 'hand drawn faces' challenge and it was just the thing I needed after having been collaging for several weeks. This is the one I am entering for the challenge.


I admire the work of so many artists and one of my new favorites is J.J. Grandville (pseudonym) and his illustration work in Les fleurs animees. I love the way he drew faces, the long face with longish nose and unsmiling mouth and his attention to all the fine details just makes me drool. This next portrait is inspired by his face work.



A couple years ago I took an online class from Mystele called "gut art" in which she taught us to search the background of our painting and see what 'speaks' to us and let the story sort of tell itself. I have to say this approach works with collage also. In this next piece I had a scrap of paper with a great bunch of grapes that I used as part of the background. As I was adding the face I turned the paper a few times and those grapes became her hairdo on this next piece. Now that I look at her I'm reminded a little of Carmen Miranda too.


 Finally my last portrait postcard from the weekend. While I'm quite pleased with the background texture on this one it still needed a bit more visually. I found this text in the book I am altering and it just cracked me up. I always talk about how superficial I can be and it doesn't get much more shallow than to thank God for being desireable.


Whew, now i got the painting thing out of my system so can move back to collage for a few projects that are coming due soon.

As always, thank you for stopping by and have a great week!


Renee

17 comments:

  1. All of your styles are amazing Renee. These faces are excuisite!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Astrid. You always say such nice things!

      Delete
  2. Hi Renee! WAU, You have a blog too, Great :) see you on FB.
    You inspired me very much, I MUST draw and paint too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ansku, I'm so glad to be in touch again. I'm addicted to FB! Thanks for checking out my blog and thanks for sharing your art - I always love your zetti pieces and your hand doodling in the backgrounds

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Little Glimpses and I'm so glad I did. Your faces are wonderful! I especially like the one you did with grapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Janet. I LOVE Mystele and her work! So glad you found your way over and hope you will stop by again.

      Delete
  5. I love these faces and to me you have a very own style, that I much appreciate <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Desiree - I am happy to hear you see a style. i just dont want them to appear like a copy of someone else's work. Thanks for your visit and taking the time to leave a lovely comment <3

      Delete
  6. You are a fantastic artist with multiple talents, and these faces say it all! They are gorgeous, and I can see your style right away, no mater which medium you choose. These are incredible, and I wish I could draw like you Renee! You have always inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, the inspiration is mutual - your work inspires me <3

      Delete
  7. oh i much prefer warmer weather too! love love love your art and as far as a signature style - i can always tell a "renee" piece a mile away no matter what the medium you use. i'm pretty sure your style stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faces are fabulous! And that is so cool about your showing in the gallery! I'm falling behind in my Book of Days, but I am hoping to have time to get back to it this weekend. Looking forward to seeing more of yours! We've been having that fabulous warm weather here in Michigan. So fun!
    Blessings,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank, so much Tricia. i hope you do have time to get back to your book of days soon (or any art journaling for that matter). enjoy the weather, we may never have another winter like this in our lifetime. thanks for stopping by.xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3