Wednesday, February 22, 2012

saying goodbye

This is a hard post to write. I've been thinking on it for several days hoping that maybe the words would flow but they are stuck somewhere deep inside. My Mom died 2 weeks ago and nothing will ever be exactly the same.

Christmas 2011 - age 93


It doesn't matter that I am 52 years old and have grown children of my own. With her gone somehow the world seems too large and I feel too small.

When you lose your mother nothing is ever exactly the same. Mother's Day will feel incomplete this year. The holiday weeks that she always spent with our family will be a little empty. The "Grandma" Christmas stocking on our mantel will make us a little sad.

I know the sadness is for those of us left behind with the empty spots in our hearts that will re-fill in due time with sweet memories, celebrations of her life and testimonies from those whose lives she touched. I also know that she would be so proud of her family for working together taking care of all the affairs one must at a time like this. I am especially proud of my brother, Arvid.

These last few years he really went the extra mile taking care of Mom and making sure she was able to remain independent as long as was humanly possible. He checked on her every day (often times several times a day). He took her to her doctor appointments, made sure she had good food to eat, helped her with anything that came up. She appreciated everything he did for her and so did I.

This month's prompt for Roc's monthly prompt journal is "what is something you really appreciate"? It was easy for me - I really appreciate everything Arvid did for Mom so this journal page is dedicated to him (and features his baby picture and retro 1980ish picture).


Thank you Arvid. I love you and appreciate everything you (and Shirley) did for Mom and for the rest of us.

Thank you Mom. I love you and appreciate everything you did for me <3

Thanks for stopping by.

Renee




16 comments:

  1. Oh Renee, so sorry to hear this. I have not really been following the daily thread in the AN lately, so this was complete news to me. All my prayers and love go out to you through this difficult time!!.

    I lost my mum about 10 years ago, so I know what it is like.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I forgot to say, your journal spread is stunning and those photos of your brother are just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great tribute. you were blessed to have your brother be such a wonderful helper and to have a mom that was so special. i'm sure she is looking down on you all with a great big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry to hear this sad, sad news Renee. I can only imagine how devasted you must all be. Your brother sounds like one in a million. Take care xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am so sorry Renee, and your post is beautiful. I am glad you shared this with us although it must have been so hard. I think of you often and hope you are okay.
    Your journal spread is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee...that's a lovely tribute to both your mom as well as your brother. I know how it is to loose your mom and my heart goes out to you. You're right....nothing will ever be quite the same. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such sad news ... thinking of you Renee.
    Your brother sounds amazing :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear, hold you in my arms... you write so beautifully about your sorrow...your mum is beautiful...so is your art...
    love from the west of France
    Peaceful (book of days)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people leaving us make a serious bruise on our heart and soul. Whether it's a mother, father, aunt, kid... We are not really made to say goodbye...
    It's hard... I can't tell you comforting things, loss is loss. I have no words for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry for your loss Renee, I know there is nothing anyone of us can say but although nothing ever being the same the love you and your mum and brother share will always be eternal in spite of that, much love & thoughts xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Renee I missed this somehow until today. I feel for you my dear. I know how much your mum meant to you and how independent she wanted to be. Great that you had such a wonderful brother as well, it must have given you great piece of mind to know he was there for your mum every day. Sending big hugs across the miles. Cindy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss;o( Beautiful tribute to your mother and brother, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Renee, I'm so sorry for your sadness and wish I'd known sooner. I'm just not able to follow everything at the Nest. I lost my mom about 10 yrs. ago and it's weird how you can feel sort of orphaned, no matter how old you are. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a touching tribute to your Mom and family, beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such sad news Renee. The bond you have with your family is so strong and your mum's passing will leave a big hole..... She will never be forgotten but love binds you all together and that love will see you through, in time. Thinking of you all xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3