Friday, December 2, 2011

we get to go to a hockey game tonight

Attitude is so important in our lives. You can look at the glass half full or half empty, the choice is yours. Sometimes I forget and let my glass become half empty and need a little reality check. This week that reminder came from my 17 year old son, Zac.

Zac is a big hockey fan, especially the Minnesota Wild (being from Minnesota I guess that's only natural). He's not shy about sharing his enthusiasm for the team and not too proud to beg when it comes to something Wild related. For example, this summer my husband's boss played in a charity golf tournament with the Minnesota Wild players. As soon as Zac heard about it he asked Tom (Wade's boss) if he would get him an autograph from one of the players. Being 17 he  didn't realize that's probably not the first thing your dad wants you to ask of his boss.

Tom (being the classic Type A personality that he is) didn't stop at one autograph. He took the little commemorative wooden hockey stick shaped golf putter that each of the tournament players received as a thank you gift and tracked down each player there that day and got an autograph and gave it to Zac. Needless to say Zac was thrilled. To thank Tom for his kindness I painted this for him:



but I digress... back to my story


So the other day I told Zac that his dad and I had to go to a Wild game Friday night with Tom & his wife and a bunch of Dad's customers. Zac is about drooling that he doesn't get to go and says to me "Mom, do you realize how lucky you are? If it were me I would be saying 'I GET to go to a Wild game' but you say ' I HAVE to go to a Wild game'"!

I think Zac is right, I should be a little more appreciative that I get to go on a date night with my husband. We will get to spend the evening with Tom & his wife, Julie who are both such nice people.We get to go out for a great dinner before the game and we get to support a team that brings revenue and spirit to our state. Thank you Zac, I needed a little reminder in the attitude department.

If you are wondering where I am tonight - I GET to go to a Minnesota Wild hockey game. I'll be back online tomorrow.

Thank you for stopping by - I hope you GET to do something fun this weekend too!

Renee

6 comments:

  1. yup - attitude is everything. we all need gentle reminders of how blessed our lives are. you did a great thing by painting something so beautiful as a gift for your appreciation. how nice. have fun at your hockey game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I GET to not go to a Wild game and I am so happy my glass is overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture. The colors, the nest and the flying feather, alle details are amazing!
    Hugs Anja

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and Renee, I GET to say lovely things about your blog - this a lovely post, what a lovely man Tom is doing that for your son who sound a great, bright young man too. Hope you enjoyed your meal out in good company combined with the date with your husband!

    Love your painting too!

    Happy Holidays xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel so lucky that I "get" to read your blog... Thanks Zac!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little story - my twin daughters are 18 and we have just had a chat about not looking at life with a glass half full but one filled and possible at times over flowing - thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3