Saturday, September 3, 2011

my latest addiction

Today I want to share a glimpse of my latest addiction, the altered envelope. I fought the urge to try it for a long time but in June I caved in. I was right - I am hooked!


 I wish I'd have taken a few pictures of the process along the way just to show all the different layers on this. First I got carried away with my Adirondack sprays so I spread a thin layer of gesso over the top to tone it down a bit. That was perfect and once dry I went back with a pen and outlined some of the original stencil shapes to re-define them. I also used some acrylics on shelf liner to add a splotches in a few areas and finishing touches with some paint pen and pan pastels.

Image credits to Tumblefish Studio for the flowered borders, the hand, and the words. Thanks to the chinese restaurant downtown for the fortunes (and the tasty cookies they came from). USPS stamps and crow was a copy from a journal page I did a while ago.

It is so much fun to get pretty mail along with the bills in your mailbox - you should try it :)

Thanks for stopping by...

Renee

5 comments:

  1. These altered envelopes are absolutely gorgeous.
    I love the layers and depth and luminous quality!
    What a fun idea!!

    I want to thank you, too, for joining my art blog hop and posting the button on your site.
    I really appreciate it!
    And I'm glad I found your blog through the hop...
    I am your newest follower! :)

    All the best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Pretty amazing! The layers are fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, it must be shocking to get such a nice envelope in the mail. I would be afraid to open it up and damage it. It looks great. Love everything about it, the composition, the window, the colours, NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i warned you these would become addictive! haha i think they are one of my favorite things to do!!
    your envies are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the addiction to mail art! I can imagine these would be very hard to part with though - maybe your special envelopes can just be kept to store secret messages? :o) Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3