Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bird's Nest Soup

I don't think this is quite what they mean when they say "Bird's Nest Soup", just my feeble attempt at humor. Several years ago I bought  a large basket full of mismatched pieces of silverware. I always had good intentions of making wind chimes or something clever with them but, of course, never did. I recently joined an altered cutlery swap so finally got to dig into my basket. Now I don't feel like it's been a waste of time to have dragged it around for years - YAY!

As I was rummaging through the basket this ladle kept coming to the top of the pile so I figured that must be the piece to play with. What a perfect setting for a little bird's nest.


I cut several types of papers into strips and used them to cover the ladle - sort of like when a bird is scavenging for building supplies. There are a few feathers, some ribbons, and some cheesecloth mixed in with the paper strips.




The wings are made with sewing pattern tissue, wire & gel medium. The "joy" embellishment in the center is made with sculpey and painted with acrylics and inks.



The nest is filled with little eggs and a little bird all made with Sculpey Pluffy. This is the first time I've used this type of modeling clay and I will definately use it again. It's very pliable, easily manipulated by hand without getting sore knuckles. I think it may be a bit lighter weight than the original sculpey as well but with these little pieces that really isn't an issue.

I'm so happy to have been able to use something from my treasure basket and so happy to have you stop by to take a look. Come back any time ...

Renee

5 comments:

  1. Love this little bird and eggs you made by hand!! Just love the ladle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lucky swapper is going to be very happy with this sweet ladle!!! Awesome work, Renee! Hope you're enjoying a great weekend! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and altered art piece Renee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is beautiful wow i would so die to own just one piece of your art , it would so be a honor , i love to do trades, i used to have alot of fun art and lost it all when my house caught on fire and burned down with me trapped in it , it totally sucks to not even have one piece but i am trying to start sharing and trading again cuz if it isnt given to a person it doesnt mean any thing and i want the piece of art to have meaning for me , so i try to steare clear of purchasing art as i would rather have feelings for the item andn love it , that the later , thanks for shareing your talent
    georgia from ohio
    ps i have a you tube channel and have video of my house fire if you want ot seit , my channel is mypinkrainbow

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment <3